Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Be Careful What You Wish For



Yesterday morning, Jonah, a new friend and I took a day trip to the town of Bylakuppe.  Bylakuppe is the 2nd largest Tibetan settlement in India about 2 hours from Mysore.  Between the 3 of us, renting a car with a driver as oppose to taking the bus was worth the money.  We didn't see as much as I expected, but it was nothing like I've ever seen before.  The main tourist spot is the Golden Temple and it is absolutely stunning.  The temple houses three huge beautiful, gold Buddha statues.  Words cannot describe everything else inside the temple so I will leave it at that.  Anything I say would be an injustice to the beauty of the place.



Today was our last practice before another break, which I missed.  I'm going through another bout of stomach issues accentuated with flu like symptoms.  As much as my body needs this break, I'm unhappy about it.  We will be off for 5 days and return the first week of October.  The last break we had threw me off and I've been a bit out of sorts since.  After this break, the shala should be open till the 3rd week of November with the exception of moon days and our Saturdays off.  My goal is to refocus and recommit to my purpose (whatever that is).  I've been going back and forth about staying in Mysore for an extra week or two to get in another full month at the shala.  I may even consider staying till the next break in November.  It all depends on my patience and tolerance level.

10 Things I Learned
1. never leave home without an electric razor
2. bring toilet paper EVERYWHERE
3. if you are wearing long pants, fold them before entering a public restroom
4. when getting on a bus or train, always bring a copy of your receipt.  otherwise, you will have to pay  twice  
5. it's not funny to joke about being attacked with a machete when there is crazy people around.  it's possible that they are carrying one around
6. be careful what you wish for.  you might regret it
7. do not assume men walking around holding each others' hands are gay. heterosexual men here like to hold each others' hands too
8. you know you have a problem when you close your eyes and all you can see are the gems from the game Bejeweled
9. when you hear a doorbell, don't bother getting up.  it's probably your neighbor's 10. if your room is on the first floor, it is not a good idea to walk around naked with the curtains open

No comments:

Post a Comment