Monday, September 14, 2009

Lemon Party and Lady's Holiday

This is the last full week of practice as the shala will be closing from the 18th-29th.  Sleep has been my enemy this past week and I'm getting a maximum of 4 hours of sleep a day.  Regardless of the lack of sleep, I'm still getting up to practice.  I cannot miss another practice this week so J #1 has been calling me every morning to help me get up.  I've been forcing myself to get up and it hasn't been easy.  Not sure how I will survive the 10 day break without practicing in the shala.  Practicing on my own isn't the same.  I'm not as focused and disciplined.  Back home when I was practicing on my own, I start doing things half-assed when I would get tired.  Things might be different now that I am here and I might as well try. 

During the break my plan is travel to Hampi with the boys to climb.  There is so much bouldering and sightseeing to do.  Hampi is filled with ancient ruins and from what I've seen in pictures, the bouldering is impeccable.  I also plan on moving next weekend to the new place.  I'm a bit excited to have my own place with my friend, but will miss the nightly episodes of South Park with Christian.  

When I missed practice on Sunday, J #1 concerned of my whereabouts asked if it was a "lady's holiday".  I had not clue what that meant and said no.  When a few other people found out I missed practice, they asked me the same thing.  To some I would say yes and nod, but had no clue as to what I was agreeing to.  One of our friends also missed practice on Sunday and J #1 said the same thing about the "lady's holiday" so I assumed it was some sort of a floating holiday that we individually observe. Yesterday when I was at J #1's place, she mentioned the "lady's holiday" again.  It wasn't until she made a comment about her "lady's holiday" coming soon that I fully understood what she meant.  At first I didn't understand why she planned it.  I thought it was something you decide the morning of if you want to get up and attend practice.  Once I figured it out, I never felt more stupid.  Apparently the holiday is observed monthly or every 28 days or whenever it comes for the individual.  Girls usually take a few days off from practice or tailor their practice to accommodate their symptoms.  So the fact that I told some people I was observing the "lady's holiday" was false information and an over share on my part.

Title footnote:
"30 Rock" has made a few Lemon Party references.  When my friend told me what it was, I was shocked.....  The things we sometimes learn never fails to surprise me

No comments:

Post a Comment