Friday, September 4, 2009

Is it Considered Cheating to Hunt Birds in a Bird Sanctuary?

Full moon today so no practice and tomorrow is our scheduled day off.  I did something yesterday afternoon that has me torn about my practice.  It is not life or death, but enough to mess with my head.  More on the subject when I sort things out.

For our day off today Christian and I went to Ranganthittu Bird Sanctuary.  Our excursion was a bit disappointing and getting rained on on our way back home was the most exciting part of the trip.  We saw only two different types of birds and the rest were no where to be found.  We actually saw more monkeys than birds.  I decided that the monkeys are only cute from a distance.  I try not to get too close for fear of them spitting or biting me.  When my sister was in elementary school she went on a field trip to the zoo and a monkey spit on her.  Her teacher gave her some perfume to hide the smell and for some reason that kind of grossed me out more than the monkey spitting on her.   Don't ask why, but my reasoning works in funny ways.  It's the Aspergers I tell ya.. 

On the way to the bird sanctuary I lost a little momento that my sister gave me and I was a little bit bummed about that.  Sometimes Christian does not see the speed bumps and things have a tendency to fly out of my pocket when he flies through them.  I end up going airborne and landing on the metal bar of the rail.  On the way back I would have lost my keys if we hadn't heard them fall out.  I would have actually preferred to lose my keys than the thing my sister gave me. 

The past few days, I have been trying to make climbing plans.  There is a place north of Bangalore called Hampi that has the best bouldering in India.  A few years ago Chris Sharma, this awesome climber from Santa Cruz documented his climbing trip to Hampi.  In the video Chris Sharma would be climbing these cool looking boulders and in the background you could see beautiful ancient temple ruins.  When I saw the video I thought it would be a nice place to climb, but it wasn't enough for me to make a special trip for.  Well now that I am here and it's fairly close, I would regret not going.  Hampi is about 10 hours from Mysore so it would be a multi-day trip.

There are also a few local climbing areas that I've seen online.  I emailed this guy that runs the Bangalore Meetup group and he was kind enough to invite me to climb with his family this Sunday.  He even offered me his guest room if I wanted to come up Saturday night.  I won't be able to make it this Sunday, but look forward to future dates.  Christian needs shoes and finding shoes here is like searching for a highlighter.  Both items are a rare commodity and they charge up the wazoo.  If there is one thing I did right when it came to packing for this trip, would be packing my climbing shoes and chalk bag.  I may not have enough clothes for yoga or any other type of clothes for that matter, but I do have my rock climbing shoes and yoga mat (which I almost forgot). 

 
this is a rare bird breed at the sanctuary

Quick update on my stomach issues.  Went to see the quack doctor and my diagnosis is my stomach can't handle the food.  The doctor gave me herbs to take for the next 7 days and a list of things I can't eat.  The list for the things I can eat is much shorter than the list I can't eat.  I will do as recommended and followup with the doctor next week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment