Monday, August 24, 2009

Singapore Day 1 & 2

**Before you start reading this post, I have to warn you that I'm severely jet lagged. Some of my sentences are incomplete and don't make sense. I think bullet points would of been much easier. Anyway, forewarned is fair warned.

Day 1 - Traveling to Singapore

Departing LAX layover in Narita Japan (11.5 hours). From Narita to Singapore (8 hours).
The flights were hellish and long. I barely made my flight departing LAX. Then the guy sitting next to me on the flight smelled kind of funny and kept picking his face. I had a window seat and was trapped. The only thing I could do from not freaking out was to sleep. The plane was delayed and as it was taking off, the plane came to a halt. Apparently one of the doors wasn’t closed. I’m not sure how this minor detail slipped by and why they barely noticed it then. When my car door is ajar I usually hear an annoying beeping sound. This must not be the case with a piece of machinery that cost hundreds of millions of dollars to build. Yet a car that cost under $30,000 has this nice little feature.

Luckily my flight to Singapore was also delayed. My hip joints ached and I was not looking forward to sitting another 8 hours. The flight from Narita to Singapore wasn’t any better. Shorter, but I sat next to a guy that smelled like a smurf pooped in his mouth or something. Laugh all you want, but it was torture.

My friend Cola warned me about this. I admit that I’m a little OCD with cleanliness/hygiene issues and a smell-a-phobe. She said that my OCD issues would go out the window and I would learn to deal with them because India doesn’t seem like a clean country. Me being me, I shrugged it off and didn’t believe it. One thing I have to say about Cola is that she is a wise person and speaks the truth. Plus if anyone messes with me, she is a cop and will kick someone's ass for me.


Day 2
Singapore

Woke up to the sound of pouring rain…. I mean literally. But can anyone finish that lyric or am I the only one that still remembers that song. Better yet, I’m the only that has no shame and admits to knowing that song?

Rain… It was nice to wake up to rain. It hasn’t rained in Los Angeles in a very long time and the change of weather was nice. I enjoy the occasional rainy day and spending the day indoors watching movies. Definitely not enough of those days and too many gives me cabin fever.

My cousin and her girlfriend were nice enough to take me around the city. The weather was humid and my kneecaps were sweating. I saw some parts of the city and Chinatown. Over thinking Chinatown for a minute... Isn’t Singapore part of China or occupied mostly by Chinese? Then wouldn’t every town be Chinatown? Anyway, one of the highlights was that we got to visit a temple in Chinatown. Don’t recall the name of the temple, but it was beautiful.



Before we had lunch, my cousin was starving so we stopped to get a hot dog. They got me one too and I didn’t want to seem high maintenance so I didn’t tell them that I don’t eat pork. The last time I ate pork or red meat was when I was 13. That is over 17 years ago and after taking a few bites, I could tell that I am not missing out on much. The first few bites were fine, but once I started to think about what I was eating, I grossed myself out and felt sick all day. I swear lightening was going to strike me. This is going to sound weird, but I felt really guilty as if I was letting someone down. I think I’m just disappointed in myself for being so passive. I could spin this and justify it a million ways that I was trying something new or breaking out of my shell kind of a thing, but it’s done. The hotdog is somewhere in my system and I can’t wait for it to get out.

song of the day: "Running to Stand Still"

No comments:

Post a Comment