Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Just In Case You Didn't Think You Were Dumb Enough

Woke up tired this morning. Not that is any different from the past few mornings. You know you are waking up too early when the dog that usually barks at you all day as your passing is too tired to even acknowledge your presence. Haven't died from jet lag yet, but my stomach isn't happy. I'm still waking up in the middle of the night, but now I'm able to go back to sleep. I still worry about not getting up on time to be at the shala by 4:45. With time, I hope my body acclimates to the schedule.

So far things are going okay. A little too slow for me. Usually after practice, I get breakfast, head back to the house, go on the internet and read about yoga. I'm starting to experience cabin fever and that is not a good place for me. I'll start getting home sick and will start questioning my decision to be here. Yesterday I was so bored that I was taking pictures of my banana. It wasn't just a regular banana though. It was a red banana and they are short and thick. I even named it which I won't share cause it's inappropriate and the best part is that my flatmate busted me taking pictures. Boredom and I don't work well together. I start thinking too much and do stupid things.



Joseph is getting me a scooter today, so I'm hoping things will change for me being more mobile. I'm a little hesitant with the scooter, but excited at the same time. The drivers here don't follow any set of rules and the majority of the riders do not wear helmets. The Indian law is that the driver of the motorcycle or scooter has to wear a helmet, but not the passenger and in most cases passengers. I've seen up to 3 people on a motorcycle and somehow it doesn't seem very safe.

Day 2 of practice and had a so-so day of practice. I was able to get into a few more poses that I usually can't hold, but my breathing was not right. I feel like I'm not inhaling correctly and keep holding my breath when I transition. It makes it harder for me to concentrate and my focus shifts. I'm still excited to see how my practice will evolve being here.

The shala also offers Sanskrit and chanting classes that are held every Wednesday, Friday and maybe Monday. Last night was the first class and I'm sad to say that I was the only student. I thought there would be more people, but I was it. The private lesson and special attention is great, but the teacher is solely focused on me. I'm forced to pay attention and it doesn't allow my mind to wander like the frequent flier that it is. Being in the class I feel like I'm in ESL or some sort of remedial class. Let's just say I need Sanskrit for dumber than dummies and won't even bother with the chanting part.

song of the day: "Mr. Gaunt Pt 1000" Soap&Skin

No comments:

Post a Comment