Saturday, October 10, 2009

Wherever You Go, There You Are

Today is our day off from the practice.  Instead of sleeping in I went up to Chamundi Hill with Michael, who I met yesterday and Jim who also practices at the shala.  Michael is a friend of a friend's from back home.  Christian and I drove up to Chamundi Hill when I first got here, but just like most of our trips, we didn't see everything.  Instead of driving to the top, the rickshaw driver drove us to the bottom and we had to walk up over 1500 steps.  My legs were sore from climbing the steps to see the naked statue on Thursday and also from yesterday's excursion to the top of the temple in Melkote.  There were sections of the climb that I was sucking wind and I was overexerting myself. 

As we were walking towards the temple, I kept thinking about the whole walking barefoot thing.  I considered not going into the temple since I've seen it before, but Michael bought an offering and suggested that I should bring it into the temple.  I reluctantly give my shoes to the shoe valet and pretended that I was okay with the situation.  I didn't know my two companions very well and I figured I should spare them the Type A, OCD madness.  At the entrance of the temple, there are metal barriers used for crowd control.  I noticed two monkeys sitting on the barriers eyeing the offering in my hand.  The offering consists of coconuts, flowers, bananas and the red stuff that people put on their forehead.  I later found out that the red stuff is made with cow dung and I'm glad I was told this after the priests put it on my forehead.  I'm tried to walk in between the barriers and the monkeys were blocking me from getting in.  It was rough enough having to walk and dodge cow poop, but the monkeys were going to send me over the edge.  I ran past and was able to get through.  It's no lie that I'm slightly afraid of animals.  I think they are unpredictable and will attack at anytime.  Michael is ahead of me and as I'm trying to catch up to him, this other monkey runs at me from the side, steals the banana and knocks the plate out of my hand.  Jim, who is behind me, helps me pick up the remainders of the offering.  I compose myself and start walking and another monkey comes up trying to attack me.  At this point, I lose it and shove the offering into Jim's hands and take off.

While I was waiting to enter the main part of the temple, I spot a little person.  This was the second one I've seen in the last two days.  A few minutes later, another one walks out, but this one had a mullet.  Nothing makes up for being attacked by monkeys, but seeing a 'lil person with a mullet makes everything better. 

We go through the temple and present our offering.  Before we enter, Michael warned Jim and I that the priests will give us water to drink, but if we wanted to see tomorrow, we should pretend to drink the water and then put it over our head.  I have no idea what any of this stuff means, but I'll explain process.  You give your offering to the priests, he walks back to the statue, the next priest is holding a plate with fire in the center and you touch that.  The next priest is water boy and the last one puts the red dot on your forehead.  If you present an offering, you wait for a priest to come back out with it.  I'm not sure if it is exactly the same offering you presented, but they give you something back.  The priest hands Michael back the offering and we walk outside and sit near the exit.  Michael puts the plate between us and when he wasn't looking I pushed the plate more towards him.  There were monkeys all over the roof tops and I didn't want to deal with another attack.  Luckily none of the monkeys came near us.  The three of us were in a middle of a conversation and a few school kids exiting the temple sit next to me.  Next thing I knew, I was surrounded by a classroom full of students.  The girls closest to me were a bit shy to talk to me so I said hello first.  The ones surrounding me give me their names and everything was calm until I pulled out my camera.  Most people here love to have their photograph taken.  The instant gratification of a digital camera is even more exciting for them.  I snap a few photos and chaos ensues.  The kids start pushing to get into the photo and their teacher and chaperons are trying to restrain them from trampling me.  The teacher is profusely apologizing to me and calls the class to order.  As they were leaving they formed a single line to thank me and shake my hand.  With a group of that size, there is always one that perhaps is a bit special.  While the majority of the students were falling in line, this special one was in my face staring at me.  She has me take a picture and after I showed it to her, she also wanted to shake my hand.  I extended out my hand to her and once she had it , she wouldn't let go.  The teacher finally got her away from me and I was able to say goodbye to the other kids.  Usually when I am around a crazy, my initial reaction is to flee the scene.  In this case, I was on the ground and at the mercy of a non-blinking child.

On our way out of the temple, Jim noticed that I was walking funny and was being very careful about where I was stepping.  I've only know this guy for about 2 hours and he had me figured out.  His comment to me was "c'mon Mary, it's okay.  Your feet won't melt".  Well he is wrong!  My feet will melt and if I step on something disgusting, I will be able to wash it off, but it will leave an invisible imprint and I will still feel that it is there.      

No comments:

Post a Comment