Sunday, October 25, 2009

Ooty, Ooot, Ooot

After Friday morning's practice, Tim, Mitch, Jonah and I took an overnight trip to the town of Ooty.  Ooty was once occupied by the British, just like everything else in India and the town has areas preserved from the British colonial days.  The British used Ooty as a weekend/summer getaway and the town is known for tea and chocolate.    What I didn't know was that the town is a popular hill station and lies 7500 feet above sea level.  We left around 10:30 am and arrived Ooty after 6:00 pm.  I was told it was a 3 hour drive and it was the longest 3 hour drive I've ever been on.  We had to travel through Bandipur National Park and had a few animal sightings so it wasn't all that bad.  I slept the majority of the ride and the 3 boys chatted in the back. 

We arrived Ooty after dark and it was freezing.  No one told me that it was going to be cold and I didn't pack properly.  We find our hotel and the place looked a little creepy.  Not as in our lives were in danger, but more in a sense that we were being watched.  This could just be my imagination or India is turning me into a schizo, but Jonah also made a comment about the hotel being haunted.  The hotel is over a 100 years old and sits above a hill with a magnificent view.  It was decided earlier on that Jonah and I would be sharing rooms.  That would leave Tim and Mitch together.  We go into our designated rooms and as cool as our room was, I felt uncomfortable.  I was trying to hide my paranoia from Jonah and luckily he didn't say anything when I was following him around and had to use the bathroom with the door open.  As luck would have it, Tim and Mitch weren't happy with their room.  The both of them weren't comfortable sleeping in the same bed and our room happened to have two twin beds.  We ended up with their room which was less creepy.

Our plan for the next morning was to take the train to a nearby town on the way to Mysore.  We would then meet the driver at the station, which was close to the bottom of the mountain and head to Mysore from there.  The train ride was great, but when we met the driver he tells us that we have to go back up the windy road back to Ooty.  The train was traveling the opposite direction of Mysore and there was only one road.  I wasn't very happy about this as I got car sick on our way up the mountain the day before.  I couldn't wait to get back to Mysore and we had another 7+ hours in the car.  That was just too much time for me to sit still and think.  My only other option was to sleep, but that was impossible sitting next to two men loaded on caffeine. 

For the amount of time I spent thinking, I came to the conclusion that I've been a bit of a pill the past few days in anticipation of returning home.  People are easily getting on my nerves and I don't have the patience to deal with people trying to sell me things.  What exactly I mean by being a pill is that I stop communicating and would prefer to spend more time alone than usual.  I'm heading back to the territory of the unknown and it is a bit unnerving.  One thing I do have to point out is that this journey that I have embarked on the last two months has been one of the best experiences of my life.  I will never experience anything like this and even if I do come back, the experience will be different.  This trip happened when I needed it most in my life.  I lost so much in the past year and if that is what it took to lead me here, then it was worth it.  If I were to ever go missing, the first place to look would be Mysore.  Home will always be home, but there will always be a huge part of me here.      

No comments:

Post a Comment