Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Ligers At The Zoo

Yesterday afternoon on your way home from the zoo, Jonah and I took a detour to the other side of town to check out a store that had some possible gifts ideas. I've been to the store once at the beginning of my trip and couldn't quite remember how to get there. On one of the streets we turned on, there was a police barricade and everyone on a motorcycle or scooter was ordered to stop. I had my helmet on this time, so I knew I wasn't being stopped for that. I parked the scooter and figure out that the police were checking for insurance. When we rented the scooter, Jyoti, the scooter owner, said that a copy of the insurance policy would be under the seat. She also said to make a copy of my license and never carry the original because once the police take it away, I might not get it back or will be charged a huge fee. I hand a copy of my license and the insurance policy to the officer and after reading it for a few seconds, he asks for my name as if he couldn't read it on the license. He then proceeds to tell me that the insurance is invalid and that I will need to pay. There were about 20 other people standing around pleading with the officers. Since I was a foreigner and anything I say would be invalid, they expedited my paperwork and took my money. The ticket cost me Rs 500 which is equivalent to about $10. When we rode off, I was livid and couldn't think straight. I was swerving and had problems coordinating with the brake and the accelerator. I was so angry and felt taken advantaged of. The money didn't bother me. It was the fact that the cops here are jerks and there wasn't a damn thing I could do about it. Unless I want to end up like that guy we saw get caned, the best thing for me to do was to shut my mouth. We ended up finding the store, but at that point, I wasn't in any mood to shop and didn't buy anything.

After the store, we went straight to Jyothi's house. She has valid insurance on the scooter, but forgot to switch out the copy when it expired. Yesterday was the first time in a week and a half that I didn't call United to change my ticket. As annoying as the merchants and beggars can be, at least they are tolerable. The police on the other hand, they are a lost cause. I have a few friends that are in law enforcement and it makes me appreciate them even more. I know that they abide by certain rules and are honest people. Later that evening, Jonah wanted to go grocery shopping and I refused to ride the scooter anywhere in town.

Although my afternoon was ruined, I did have a great time at the zoo. I'm not usually a fan of zoos, but I figured since the animals are treated better than the humans here, it would be worth checking out. The zoo was well kept and the animals, well they were animals. The best part of my experience at the zoo are the signs posted throughout. The signs were so ridiculous that I spent my time taking photos of all the signs I found amusing. I maybe took 5 or 6 photos of animals, but each animal station had some ridiculous sign posted that was much more photo worthy. My favorite one was a warning to not sit or lean on the barricades. If it happens that you fall in, and the animal eats you, it will make the animal sick. If being eaten doesn't kill you, you will be arrested - bleeding and all. Teaching by way of fear must be a cultural thing. None of this stuff flies back home and it may be the reason why I laugh instead of taking the warning seriously. I also wouldn't stick my hand through a cage to pet the pretty tiger; regardless if Siegfried and Roy sleep with them at night.


No comments:

Post a Comment