Wednesday, July 22, 2009

It is what it is

Less than a month from now I will be on a plane to Singapore to spend some time with my cousin who I haven't seen in over 25 years, then off to India to study Ashtanga yoga. At first what seemed liked a far fetch idea has become reality. My decision to go to India wasn't something that I had to think twice about. More or less I didn't really think the idea through and it kind of chose me. One day I woke up and knew that I had to go. In the past year there have been two occasions that I woke up feeling I had to act on a situation. On both of those occasions, the action I took created a shift that removed some sort of a road block in my life. The trip to India may or may not create this change in my life, but I will never know if I don't go.

My plan is to study at KPJAYI for 2 months and travel in between to either Delhi or even possibly Tibet. Tibet is a place that I have been dreaming of going to for over 10 years. Recently I was having a conversation with someone about my trip and somehow we got to the topic of Tibet. This person told me that not going to Tibet was a huge regret and the conversation reminded me how passionate I was and still am for the people and the country of Tibet. In my early twenties I was very involved with the Tibetan community here in Southern California and how I would have done just about anything to step foot in Tibet. I've been given the opportunity to do the things I have been wanting to do 10 years ago. At times I feel like I wasted the decade of my twenties trying to resolve the hangups of my childhood and whatever else it was dragging me down. According to my family I should be married with children. I'm a little behind on that bandwagon and maybe it's one that I may not even jump on. Who's to really say? My biggest concerns these days are the amount of miles I should paddle, which yoga class I should attend, which friend is available for the day and if there is a swell. The change definitely took some time for me to get accustomed to. I went from working a full-time job, coaching a rock climbing team, working on survey projects on the weekends to absolutely nothing and not working at all. The lack of structure and not having as much money use to drive me insane, but the trade off is happiness which some people may never truly experience.

1 comment:

  1. I am impressed and proud of how much you've grown. Reading your blog shows a confidence newly present in your life and I am so happy for you. I don't want you to be so far away from me for two months but I am happy you will be able to fulfill your dreams.

    ReplyDelete